A research paper is one of the most often assigned papers at universities. Writing text and collecting data can take too much time but these two steps are not the only ones that you have to make, forming a good bibliography is also important. Without a doubt, every student understands how is it crucial to meet style requirements for crafting a proper reference list that wouldn’t lower your grade for the whole paper.
What Are the Basic Rules of MLA Format?
How to create a citation in MLA style? To answer this question let’s first learn more about it – MLA is a format introduced by Modern Language Association, which is widely applied in humanities to format documents and cite informational sources. MLA style is one of the most popular ones and is used all across the USA and other countries including Canada for different types of papers written in the English language.
What are the main rules? There are many of them but here are a few most significant ones:
- Each citation added to your text has to be clear and short;
- Referring to other authors’ articles you should use parenthetical citation (indicating only the number of page and author’s last name);
- Each line with a new citation should begin without an indent from left margin; all subsequent lines are located 5-7 spaces from the margin;
- In bibliography, your references have to be listed in alphabetical order;
- References have to be divided either by the authors’ family names or by names of the used resources;
- All words in the resource’s name (except articles, prepositions, and conjunctions) must be capitalized.
However, if you are still unsure whether you understand all distinctive features of this style – do not hesitate and use our MLA citation generator right now for free! We guarantee that with our generator, organizing your sources will no longer be a problem!
The Best Citing Generator
Are you facing issues each time you cite your sources? It is not a secret that due to a wide variety of different styles that all have different demands, students often make some common mistakes or are just unable to cite the used data properly. We can offer you a wise solution! MLA format citation generator can do all the work for you! Citation generator follows all the guidelines and rules from MLA handbook 8th edition and thus, using our generator you are getting a warranty that all required sources will be cited in an appropriate manner.
How to use the Citation Tool
- Select the kind of reference you have from the tab above e.g. book, website, journal, newspaper or magazine.
- For books enter the book title, author or ISBN.
- For websites enter the address e.g. www.yahoo.com .
- For journals, newspapers and magazines enter the title of the article.
- Click on "Enter".
- On the next page, you will need to review and edit the information for every source. Every source will require different information.
The MLA Format
Students and writers of research papers are generally required to use the MLA citation style if they are writing a topic that falls under the category of literature, literary criticism, philosophy, languages, or any of the major subjects in liberal arts and studies. The MLA citation style is especially designed as a standardized writing style that has specific rules and conventions for formatting research papers, articles and manuscripts in the fields of literature and languages in the MLA works cited page. Established by the Modern Language Association, the MLA citation style also provides academic writers, professionals, and researchers with an organized system for citing their sources and references.